Results of the first murder case using DNA fingerprinting, Alec Jeffreys

Interviewee: Alec Jeffreys. Results of the first murder case using DNA fingerprinting.

What David Baker then did to lead an investigation, an incredibly brave act, without any consultation with me. I mean I first heard about it just listening on the radio. They're going to DNA sample on a voluntary basis the entire local community, of men aged, I think it was between 17 and 34, which was the most likely age bracket for this attacker. So the idea was to try and flush out the true assailant, so what he'd actually launched was the world's first DNA-based manhunt. And it very nearly failed. It wasn't just DNA they were using. It was two stage, first of all get the blood sample, blood group typing, 'cause they had a blood group type on the semen, which would get rid of 90 percent of the people. And then the remaining 10 percent would have been DNA fingerprinted to see if it matched the semen from the victims. And so they actually went through this and the trail ran cold. They couldn't find anybody that matched. And it was just purely by chance some time later that a woman overheard a conversation in a pub, where a man was saying he had been asked to stand in as a proxy for this other man and provide a phony blood sample. And she worried about this and went to the police, told them, and that eventually led to the arrest of the true assailant, one Colin Pitchfork, who got a life sentence for each of the murders. And he, without, without the DNA he, whether he would have been caught, heaven alone knows, and he would have killed again. So here was DNA actually saving lives, saving future victims, it's pretty awesome stuff.

alec jeffreys,colin pitchfork,brave act,manhunt,david baker,blood group,blood sample,age bracket,fingerprinted,group type,assailant,interviewee,voluntary basis,murder case,life sentence,semen,attacker,local community,murders,dna

Related Content

15111. The first murder case using DNA profiling, Alec Jeffreys

Alec Jeffreys talks about the first murder case using DNA profiling.

  • ID: 15111
  • Source: DNAi

15110. The first murder case, Alec Jeffreys

Alec Jeffreys talks about the first murder case.

  • ID: 15110
  • Source: DNAi

15103. The first DNA fingerprint, Alec Jeffreys

Alec Jeffreys talks about making his first DNA fingerprint.

  • ID: 15103
  • Source: DNAi

15107. The Ghana Immigration case, Alec Jeffreys

Alec Jeffreys talks about the difficulties of the case.

  • ID: 15107
  • Source: DNAi

15104. New uses for DNA fingerprinting, Alec Jeffreys

Alec Jeffreys talks about new uses for DNA fingerprinting.

  • ID: 15104
  • Source: DNAi

15986. Try the comparison

  • ID: 15986
  • Source: DNAi

15987. Single-locus fingerprinting

A laboratory that specializes in DNA fingerprint testing extracted DNA from a semen sample, E(vs), retrieved from Perry's body, and blood samples from Reesh, S1, and Jones, S2. The lab used a cocktail of single-locus probes to produce the DNA fingerprint

  • ID: 15987
  • Source: DNAi

15982. The first DNA fingerprint

In 1984, Alec Jeffreys produced the first DNA fingerprint. DNA-based testing methods have evolved over the years, but they still use DNA repeats as the basis for building a DNA profile.

  • ID: 15982
  • Source: DNAi

15101. Can DNA variations be detected? Alec Jeffreys

Alec Jeffreys talks about can DNA variations be detected.

  • ID: 15101
  • Source: DNAi

15582. DNA fingerprint

DNA profiling, DNA fingerprinting, gel analysis

  • ID: 15582
  • Source: DNAi