DNA is a molecule inside the cells of all living things, including US! In this session, you will use a simple procedure to extract your own DNA from cheek cells, using household materials. If you would like to perform the lab alongside DNALC Instructor Mike Paul, take a look at the protocol in the resources section and have your materials ready when you join in!
In this session, you will:
• Learn about the structure of DNA;
• Explore some important chemical principles;
• Follow the procedure at home alongside our instructor;
• Extract and see your own DNA!
Materials needed to participate from home:
• Gatorade or any sports drink
• Dish soap or shampoo
• Rubbing alcohol
• Clear, small cup
• Measuring spoon (teaspoon & tablespoon)
Presenter: Michael Paul, DNA Learning Center
Audience: Grades 5-8, plus all interested science enthusiasts
Carolina Biological offers a kit that will allow you to do this from home! https://www.carolina.com/dna-extraction-quantification/dna-necklace-classroom-kit/211138.pr